playing wind and waves upwind

At our club, the wind typically is in a range from due E to due S, and the waves roll in from the E to NE. That means the waves cross the wind from 0-90 degs portside of the wind. When sailing upwind to the weather mark, would it be better to stay more on starboard tack? I'm thinking the push of the waves opposite to the boat's direction would have a negative impact on speed, and that sailing at an angle to the wave's direction would minimize the force of the wave against the boat. Am I totally offbase and not considering something, would it be worthwhile testing the hypotheses out myself, or should I just accept it as received knowledge since others have tried it and my ideas are already used with good effect? I know when I am offwind that it makes a difference, but that's to maximize surfing and planing time. How about upwind?
Feel free to give me a carlos Mencias "Dee-de-dee" if I'm totally offbase.

Pick your tack based on wind shifts and the ability to get clear air. With practice I hear you can learn to sail in waves/chop. I'm yet to perfect this myself, but I have seen people passing me do it. Unless you overstand the amount of time you spend on each tack will be what it is. Conditions (shifts, current, wave action) will dictate how long you spend on each tack. You can't really choose to be on starboard longer.

odinsvitskjaldr said:
... the wind typically is in a range from due E to due S, and the waves roll in from the E to NE. That means the waves cross the wind from 0-90 degs portside of the wind. When sailing upwind to the weather mark, would it be better to stay more on starboard tack? ...

Hi Jay.
If we say, there is no current and there are no wind shifts, it can be an advantage to tack more to starboard.

The amplitude and the height of the waves in this theoretical question is the aspect for the decision.
If the wave-amplitudes are real large and heights are small, I'm the opinion, you not have a big advantage, because "surfing down" such waves not makes you much more fast.
If the wave-amplitudes are small and heights are small, I'm the opinion, also this not makes a big difference than sailing the leg more to the port side.

But if the amplitude and the height are, theoretical, in such a dimension for that you can "surf" (a bit) down the front side of the waves on the starboard leg and also, using the so called "sneanking"-technique while sailing on the shorter to use port-side leg to the windward mark, you will be quicker at the windward mark.

But as "jimmy" told: wind shifts, currents of the sea and the influence of the racing fleet that sails with you, also are very important parameters for the decision, which direction the longer leg to the windward mark may be for you.

Ciao
LooserLu

I dunno........The distance lost by a slower speed on port might end up balancing the increased leeway of being broadsided by waves on starboard.

Back