I have money, what do i do with it?

gavin5939

hi all
I recently bought a used laser. It came in very good condition, and I upgraded it with the Cunningham/Outhaul Racing Kit. It has a normal wooden tiller, regular boom vang... on and on.
Just wondering; What's the best money I could spend on my boat right now? Looking to start racing this summer, and I have some spare funds. Suggestions?:)

Merrily said:
What's the condition of the sail? A new sail would be more useful to begin with than a carbon fiber tiller or even the vang. If your sail is great, then the vang.
Oops!!! :eek: i forgot about that. :( You're right, a sail would make a lot more difference than a new vang, even though the vang helps. If your sail is ok and you can afford the new one you can use the old sail as a training sail.

Gavin,

IMHO, if you are learning to race the Laser, don't get the new sail first. Instead, upgrade the vang (either with the new vang or by adding some blocks to the existing vang for more purchase) and get a better tiller/tiller extension (search the threads here to make sure you are sailing with a good length extension)

My reasoning for this is that you'll see little benefit from a new sail while you are still on the learning curve for the sail controls and boat handling and by the time you have those well in hand, the new sail will have a fair amount of hours on it. Better to save that new sail purchase until after you have the other items sorted out.

OTOH, if you are already a good racer, you might as well upgrade everything now (sail, vang, tiller/tiller extension :D Gee, it's so easy to spend someone else's money! )

I am getting a good sail sometime in the near future... but what would be the advantage of the new vang versus the old one with a couple extra blocks? It seems to me like all it does is increase power ratio. Also, carbon fibre tiller versus normal one?...

Assuming you were to set up the old vang to have similar puchase to the new vang, the new vang is a little easier to cleat/uncleat (just a little) Depending on your strength, you may or may not need the full 15-1 purchase on the vang. A lot of us are sailing at 10-1 or 12-1

The carbon fiber tiller allows you to get the trav a little tighter, which is what you want in heavy air, to allow the trav blocks to sit right out at the trav eyes. It allows this because of the lower profile of the tiller. It's been a a few years since I sailed with a wood tiller, but what I remember is when you did tighten the trav right down, it caused the tiller to rub on the rear deck just where the tiller exits the rudder head. It also "feels" like there is more drag on the tiller from the trav line when steering in waves, and the trav blocks seem to clear the flat carbon tiller a little easier then the higher profile wood tiller in the tacks..

If your willing to wait until friday afternoon/evening Gavin, I can come help you out. I'm in Lunenburg until then doing my green course, but I'm happy to help.

If your using the boat at HYC this summer, I'd stay away from anything carbon, you know what the kids are like, and you've seen how quickly carbon stuff breaks down there. I'd definetly get the Vang package, it makes things much easier on the older boats, especailly with the wind we get. You've seen how tired I am after those 20+ knot days, and that's WITH the vang kit. Another thing - Save about $75-$100 for small parts - trust me, they make a difference. I can bring you to North Sails and show you everything you'll need to make things work that little bit better.

Another thing, make sure you introduce yourself to Angus at North, if your spending lots of money in there, which it sounds like you will be, it helps to be friendly with him ;)

Good luck with everything, I'll talk to you some time next week.

Back