How to remove sail numbers?

Hi,
This must have come up many times before, but darned if I could find it...

I need to remove sail numbers from a Radial sail, in order to re-number it. So, any advice on the best way to remove the old numbers, and get the sail cleaned up -- gunk removed??

The sail itself is in great shape, but the numbers have been on there for a long time, more than 10 years, if that makes any diff.

-- peter

Never come across Goo-gone so cannot comment on its use. But, I used to use Acetone and it tended to leave gunge on the sail. I was talking to a sailmaker recently and he commented that the reason it did was because I was using in incorrectly. e sail to apply the acetone to the other side of the sail to the numbers. The acetone then soaks through and softens the gule to sail bonding rather than the glue to numbers bonding. Think of is as layers; sail number "layer", glue "layer" and sail "layer" and there is a surface between the layers. Apply the acetone to the number side and you open-up the sail number to glue bond and the numbers come off leaving the glue "layer" on the sail (which is sticky, etc.). Soften the glue to sail bond and the glue "layer" stays on teh numbers and you remove it from the sail.

Just repeating what somebody who should know told me.

If you do use acetone, it does not have a great effect on your skin to take sensible precautions (I don't but that is my choice - "do as I say not as I do"). I just mention it so whilst you are out shopping you can get rubber gloves or whatever one should use (i.e. check). I am in no position to offer and advice re- safety of such compounds to do check with somebody that does know.

Ian

I use a product could "de-solv-it" but I assume it's not available in North America, again it's a citrus based product utilising citrus oils as the main active ingredient. Other the years this product has work well and does not damage the fabric. There is a second product similar to this available on our market now, so I assume Goo-gone is again a similar product.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Goo%20Gone.pdf

http://www.rcr.com.au/media/desolvit_datasheet.pdf

I would be cautious using any product that impacts on the gum near any of the seems as the seems are in part held by double sided tape, even though the stitching is the main load bearer.

As for the safety of using acetone, from my understanding acetone is a small molecule that can pass through the skin and even if it doesn't do any direct harm, it carries traces of what you were using it on (resin, glue, paint etc) through to under your skin and some of this stuff isn't healthy to have inside your body.

Acetone will work, but you have to be patient and not just dump it on. Will take some time to work and dissolve the glue. Don't use too much or you make a mess and can harm the sail as noted.

I've not heard about doing it on the wrong side, but when I think about it, it makes sense.

At work, when we use acetone, we always wear latex gloves. Not insanely hazardous, but not nice stuff either, be careful.

If you do it with any chemicals, do it outside or in a really well ventilated place!

In my honest opinion removing sail numbers should be left to the experts. You hit that glue with acetone it turns to goo, runs for about a metre down your sail, the acetoone then evaporates and your left with a stain thats going to take four hours to get off. I have only done it once and hated it. Pay the money and make it someone elses problem. TRUST ME

Back