How tight to pull & secure the bungy shockcord?

mee168

Hi all,

I have this little doubt which I would like to clear off my mind. :(

How tight should I pull before I tie the bungy shockcord to the clew strap?

Idea A:
Should we pull and tie it when the outhaul control line is pullest at its tight-ess? So that it will bounce back when outhaul line is being released.

Idea B:
Should we just tie it when the outhaul control line is at its least tension (that means the sail draft is at its fullest)? So that when you tighten the outhaul line, the shockcord will stretch.. and when you release the outhaul line, the shockcord will just bounce back.

Which way is the proper way?

Thanks alot.
mee168

You've outlined two possible ways, but you will probably get more than two answers.

I would tend to lean towards version "A". If you were to sail with version "B" in light air, there may not be enough tension in the shock cord to overcome the friction of the clue strap. Of course, some McLube would help that.

Hi gouvernail,
Sorry about this.. hmm... cos I don't get it.. what has voting for new system got to do with outhaul rigging?

mee168 said:
Hi gouvernail,
Sorry about this.. hmm... cos I don't get it.. what has voting for new system got to do with outhaul rigging?

The new sleeve which is up for a vote really slides easily and makes the bungee almost unnecessary.

Back