Block to block- seems to lose speed...

JuanCH

Hello today I went sailing in my Radial (wind light-medium) When beating whenever I wanted to go block to block to win distance to windward I felt that the boat started to lose speed, I had to ease a bit and foot a bit. Has anyone experienced this? Sailing block to block is a MUST when beating???
Thanks

Hello today I went sailing in my Radial (wind light-medium) When beating whenever I wanted to go block to block to win distance to windward I felt that the boat started to lose speed, I had to ease a bit and foot a bit. Has anyone experienced this? Sailing block to block is a MUST when beating???
Thanks

Block to block is slow when the wind is light.

Though now a few years old, something of an overview can be found here.

Thanks, nice concise summary. Though I wonder about 10" + draft under any conditions, but maybe that's just me... ;-)

Anyone aware of similar on Full, or 4.7? (Both my wife and i switch rigs, she between Radial and 4.7, occasionally Full, me Full and Radial.)

BTW, yeah, block-block is waaaay slow in Radial in light air, especially if there is any chop. Just run out of gas. If in doubt, foot like mad to heat it up, then (only then) try to point. ("Pointing high is a priveledge, not a right" ... forget who said that.)

Well, there is this nice recent article by Clay Johnson which you can find here. There are a few other useful Standard rig specific articles as well, the list of them is here.
You could also poke through old issues of The Laser Sailor online to see what else you might find, you can find them here.

Still looking for good 4.7 specific articles...

Back