Laser Worlds 2008 and 2011

Horizon

There is an interview here with Performance Sailcraft Australia, the builders of the boats for the 2008 Worlds in Australia.

www.abc.net.au/centralcoast/stories/s2079171.htm

It's about 24 minutes long, but towards the end they do talk about the new Australian foils. There were "No Photos Allowed" in that bit of the factory tour!

Also, it looks like the Worlds will be back to Australia in 2011, assuming the Laser stays Olympic.

www.sailing.org/21189.php?PHPSESSID=2af4746786dad8aa55e0689b529c2528

Are there any rumours yet as to where the 2009 and 2010 worlds will be?

Re: Laser Worlds 2008 and 2011 (and 2009)

Although not yet officially announced, I have it from a few reliable sources that the 2009 Laser Open and Masters Worlds will be held at St. Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada (August or September). Referred to by locals as simply "The Bay", it is a natural SW sea breeze thermal bay in the summer months. Twenty knot breezes with excellent ocean waves are typical in August. About a 25 min. drive from Halifax, the host club (http://www.smsc.ca/) did a superb job of holding the 2006 Laser NA's. I notice in the latest edition of the Laser Sailor that the 2008 Canadian Lasers will also be held there this July.

The Laser Worlds haven't been in Canada since 1980, so it will be great to see it finally coming back to what is one of the finest sailing locations in North America.

I also heard that the 2009 Worlds and 2008 Canadians would be hosted by SMSC. I crew on a keelboat in the SMSC summer/fall series and heard that preparations are being made for the events. "The Bay" is a beautiful place to sail and it's only 40min from my place in Lunenburg county.

Back