Silly Laser Sailing Thread

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Does anybody other than our VP and this author sail sitting as a crew would sit in the middle of a keel boat?

I think it does something to polish our boat handling.

Anybody else sit in absurd postions just to see how the boat handles?? and how to make it go anyway?

PS Ross would have to do this too or he would not be as good at VP as Eric ...

my Laser doesn't have em, doubt class rules would allow em..

the Santana 20 I sail on doesn't

the Mumm 30 I sail on does

and my dads boat does

You know what else I found out today by accident? Whatever thread title you write here automatically gets posted on the NA laser class assc. website homepage. So for example if you started a thread called...All NA laser sailors have tiny brains...imagine the sudden influx of angry NA's to this site. One way to boost visitors I guess.

I launch off a sandy beach, and anytime the wind isn't nuking I sail the first 100 yards or so sitting facing out to weather with my feet dragging in the water to try and reduce the amount of sand I transfer into the cockpit. I think that qualifies as "sail sitting as a crew would sit in the middle of a keel boat".

On the absurd end of things, I sometimes try tacking my Laser like a sailboard (i.e. pushing the tiller across and running around the front of the mast). I haven't tried it in a few years, but when I was a few pound lighter I had about a 50-75% success rate. Good fun on a hot, light-wind summer day. :D

I think that's a leftover from my Finn days when the "Finn Run" was the cool way to land. Your final approach to the pier is with the boom angled slightly to leeward (and the mainsheet loose - sail luffing) and a bit too much speed (i.e. you would hit the pier if you just sat there). At just the right moment you leap up and run to the bow. If you time it all correctly, your forward momentum is just enough to stop the boat at the pier and you step off the bow looking very smug. If you time it wrong, or don't have enough speed... :eek:

Anybody else sit in absurd postions just to see how the boat handles?? and how to make it go anyway?

On light air days I often pop up the rudder and sail the boat standing in front of the mast. If there is no breeze then rocking the boat is a good way to get some headway. If there is even a small amount of breeze then I tend to just ghost along steering the boat by heel angle.

A guy I know (who is 72 and often wins) sits straight-legged across the deck between the mast and the daggerboard on light wind runs. Gets the transom out of the water.

Another position good fro training purposes?? is to place your buns on teh bottom of the cockpit and face foreword. Try to sail downwind in big breeze that way. it is a lot harder to catch waves with no availability of body movement to help.

Supposition? When you sit in the right place, steering and wave catching is tons easier for you.

I.m sorry. Sometimes my serousnbess is overwheming.

When you take your dog along where does he sit?

This afternoon I sat on my boat at the dock. It's hootin out there. Temperature was 84 at 1 pm and is supposed to be in the 30s tonight.

That's almost zero for you Celcius guys. Or for you centigrade guys...

Changing the name to Celcius is absolutely opposite of science

This afternoon I sat on my boat at the dock. It's hootin out there. Temperature was 84 at 1 pm and is supposed to be in the 30s tonight.

That's almost zero for you Celcius guys. Or for you centigrade guys...

Changing the name to Celcius is absolutely opposite of science

Well, Celcius is the silly version of Celsius, right?

We are getting a similar weather, 70 F to bundled up tomorrow. It's breezy but not hootin. Was it so windy you couldn't go out without breaking something--either a mast or some aging bones? :D

Well, Celcius is the silly version of Celsius, right?

Gouv, Merrily, at the continent of Europe (there at areas that not belong to the so called "Commonwealth") Celsius was the former name for the degrees at the scale for the tempertures.
Scientists now use "Kelvin" to measure the temperature correct (0° K = −273,15 °C, 10° in Kelvin scale = 10° in Cesius scale).
Anders Celsius (*27.11.1701 Uppsala, +25.4.1744 Uppsala) has been a very-very famous swedish physicist for astronomic sciences.
Hope that helps you both. ;)
LooserLu

Yes, and if it were to be 0 degrees Kelvin, it would be mighty cold. You'd need an extra sweater, that's for sure.

I.m sorry. Sometimes my serousnbess is overwheming.

When you take your dog along where does he sit?

Here's where I put him in light air.

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Attachments

• Buster in Laser.jpg
    Buster in Laser.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 49

Back