How to ID a "Laser M" ?

dobrien

Greetings -
I just took ownership of a "new" old Laser (ZFS87812M80F).

Previous owner thought it was a 1980 but the hull numbers don't seem to fit the usual numbering scheme.

It came with a sail bag with the words "New numbers" and "3.8".
Sail numbers are 87812 which does fit the hull ID.

I'm suspecting that this is a "Laser M" series craft but have searched everywhere and every way I can think of (on the web) and can find nothing about the "M" series other than it was a failed experiment and that it had a shorter upper mast section. Details are always missing.

It has been retrofitted to the 2001 vang assembly and I'm hoping it was "upgraded" to "Standard Laser" at the same time... is that possible to do?

Does anyone know exactly WHAT the dimensions ARE for a Laser M?
Is the hull the same as a Standard Laser?

Here are mine:
------------------
Hull: 168 in
Beam: 54.5 in
Lower Mast: 112.5 in
Upper Mast: (full): 142 in
Total Mast: (assembled but not in hull): 242 in
Boom: 107.5 in

Thanks a bunch,
- DO'B

I have a 1981 (ZFS98079M81E) and asked the group a couple years ago to help me figure out what the serial number meant and I got a number of helpful responses, one of which I pasted below. I belive the M has something to do with the month in 1980 when the hull was made.
----------

THE SERIAL NUMBER:
Check the transom of the boat for the serial number, it'll look something like this! PFS 800000779
The first three characters denote the builder as follows. This is from memory but it's fairly accurate:
PFS - Performance Sailcraft in Montreal. Boats built from about 1971-82
ZFS - Performance Sailcraft in Montreal after they went bankrupt and refinanced. Boats built from about 1982-85.
ZID - Performance Sailcraft in Hawkesbury, Ontario, after they went bankrupt and refinanced again. Boats built from about 1985-89.
PSB - Pearson Small Boats, Portsmouth, Rhode Island, after another bankruptcy by Performance Sailcraft. Boats built from about 1989-91.
SLI - Sunfish Laser Inc., Portsmouth, Rhode Island, after Pearson Yachts and Pearson Small Boats declared bankruptcy. Boats built from about June 1991 - March 1997.</FONT>
OQT - Vanguard Sailboats Inc., Portsmouth, Rhode Island took over building Lasers and Sunfish from Sunfish Laser.
The next five characters are the sail number, in this case 80000, which was my first Laser. If the first character is a letter than the sail number is over 100,000. A=10, B=11, C=12, etc. followed by the next four numbers.
The last four characters denote the month and year the boat was built.
So now you know how to tell who built the boat, the real sail number and when it was built.

Yeah that is a Montreal Performance Sailcraft boat. Sail number is correct. Possibly 1980, though I don't know what the M and the F refer to. The only M class sail I've seen had a green M on it. If your sail says 3.8 (cloth wieght) and "new numbers" it is a newer standard rig sail. If it fits your mast it must be a standard rig you now have...unless it is a radial cut sail, then it's a radial class.

Lasersailing.com say 87812 was built in 1981.

further details about M class rig are found in Dick Tillman's book.

i thought the 'M' rig was pre-80's and the rig actually had a block on top of mast to raise the sail. i've heard they're sought after as 'antiques'.

all of your other data describes a Laser full rig. yes, different manufacturers made Laser hulls, but they are all the same boat. as long as all of the parts are there ( check the Laser handbook or APS,Harken, Colie etc websites for drawings) get out on the water and enjoy it.

The M rig had nothing to do with the hull. All the various rigs - full, radial, 4.7, M - are simply variations in spars and sails. As to identify which particular rig you have, the halyard described by stick would be a dead giveaway for an M-rig.

I believe the"M" rig ( and it pertains only to the rig, not the hull) had a smaller sail and a shorter top section of mast with a block or sheve to accomodate a halyard. The sock was looser fitting on the mast to allow the sail to be raised and lowered. The "M" for modified was developed by Hans Fogh of Toronto. Although I have never sailed one, I understand that it was difficult to sail due to the stiff lower section of mast. Radial and 4.7 rigs are far superior.

I first sailed an M rig in '78 when I just turned 13. It had a fairlead just like your Boom clew fairlead, with a cleat, both at the head of the mast. The boat could be fully rigged, then the sail was hoisted. Very easy for juniors then. Keeping in mind, back then we were rigging the boat while it was in the water... no Seitech dollys.
I have not seen an M rig since. I believe they were available under special order up until the Radial rig was developed.

Old Laser Hull Numbers

I just bought two old Lasers from a now merged sailing club in the Florida Keys. One has the traditional hull numbers on the transom which I have researched and found to be the Performance Sail Co from Ontario, 1985. The other boat has the numbers under the painter. It has been moved slightly so all I can see is 916. I also noticed the deck has a moulded square aound the outside of the mast step which is not present on the other Laser. Anyone have any ideas on the origins of this boat? The hull seems sound, the hull to deck joints are intact, and it appears that the foam has been replaced with air containers.

That is what it looks like exactly. The other boat doesn't have this. I don't really need two boats, so I need to decide which is the one to keep. Any ideas?

The one w.o out the number under the painter is a newer hull, they first put numbers there, then moved them to the transom. Also, the repaired mast step means it was blown out, so depending on the boats conditions, and the other boats mast step, from the info i have, i would sell the boat w. the replaced mast step, and keep the other.

Back