How Warped Can It Be?

Hello All,
The daggerboard down issue was really never solved within existing means, in other words the board still floats op unless I double up the rubber brake and or add some homemade rubber to it which is ok except that Ilca may not approve. Turns out the board was warpped over .5 inch and the warranted replacement was also warpped but only slighty on the trailing edge. We inspected all 4 boards in stock and found not one close to perfect, all with warps and or damage. I took the best one and called Vanguard the next day. There were some poor deliveries and that these may have been some of them but also the tolerances allowed within the quality control was really never clear. The best reason given as to why the board floats up so easily may be due to the min/max tolerances between the board width / thickness and the trunk width/thickness, meaning the board is at the min and the trunk is at the max. I can understand this and hope the new board is a better fit in this way.
But what about the warp? How bad is OK? I see perfectly straight one's on our competitors boats, all older. There are several new boats showing up which I've yet to inspect. Can't wait to see these.
Anyone got some knowledge?
Is the quality getting this bad?

johnj510 said:
Hello All,
The daggerboard down issue was really never solved within existing means, in other words the board still floats op unless I double up the rubber brake and or add some homemade rubber to it which is ok except that Ilca may not approve. Turns out the board was warpped over .5 inch and the warranted replacement was also warpped but only slighty on the trailing edge. We inspected all 4 boards in stock and found not one close to perfect, all with warps and or damage. I took the best one and called Vanguard the next day. There were some poor deliveries and that these may have been some of them but also the tolerances allowed within the quality control was really never clear. The best reason given as to why the board floats up so easily may be due to the min/max tolerances between the board width / thickness and the trunk width/thickness, meaning the board is at the min and the trunk is at the max. I can understand this and hope the new board is a better fit in this way.
But what about the warp? How bad is OK? I see perfectly straight one's on our competitors boats, all older. There are several new boats showing up which I've yet to inspect. Can't wait to see these.
Anyone got some knowledge?
Is the quality getting this bad?

No warp is good warp. Maybe the boards got heated somehow? If that's the case, reheating it will help you to shape it properly. The tip of my centerboard was pointing to the side (from leaving the board standing on the tip on a hot day), and reheating and bending with my fingers got it back in whack.

Back