Laser Bailer Small Repair

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi,
during the first sailing of my (used) new Laser in low winds, I recognized the bailer is defect. The flap didn't worked and the rubber-plug was worn out, too. Luckily I had a new rubber-plug in reserve (from a local shop for chemistry parts), but for the flap, I had to separate the bailer from the hull. I did loosen the screw careful and removed the old silicone-sealing at the sides. Then I saw, what the problem has been: the small rubber-rings of the bailer-system were "kaput".
From a "1,- Euro"-Store I got this kit with several sorts of rubber-rings (usually for repairing slide-vales) and found two suitable rubber rings for the bailer-system.
I can't say here, if the rules do allow me to take them (perhaps, this is a nice question for our measurement-section here at TLF. I know, some years a go, drLaser and the gouv discussed that intensive at the old mailing-list of the ILCA-NA, but I can't remember the result they got finally about this issue).
However, this rings do work fine and there is no need to buy the "Laser Bailer Repair Kit" from the Laser stores of Scott or George (I hope you two do forgive me that ;) ).
Luckily I had a rest of some fresh marine silicone and sealed with that the edges (see the yellow marks at one of the photos in attachment to this words), the hole for the screw for the bailer and the drain-hole at the hull to cockpit – joint and installed the bailer again. Aft that I took some water with rinsing liquid and some oneway-hanky's and cleaned the hull from the marinesilicone that has been to much. To keep clear, that the marine silicone is complete dry, I did wait for 24 hours. Now the bailer works fine again :)

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Bailer Repair 01.jpg
    Bailer Repair 01.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Bailer Repair 02.jpg
    Bailer Repair 02.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Bailer Repair 03.jpg
    Bailer Repair 03.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 122
LL, good quick fix job. For Laser Sailor's "stateside" you can find the rubber O-rings at any decent hardware store in the plumbing department.....

Back