Logo for sail

monkey_feet

Arlington, TX
I just bought a practice sail, and it doesn't have the venerable Laser logo on it. I've been searching all over the web for some, but can't find them anywhere.

Am I on my own to get one?

JH

If it doesn't have a logo, it may not be class legal.Check first to see if it is.I don't think you really don't need one.

you might try calling your local North loft & see if they may have some...
if not they may know where to get them & then charge you an arm & a leg for said stickers.

failing that, trace on tracing paper from your good sail, transfer to practice sail & use marks a lot

8^)

If it's a practice sail, why worry about it ?

None of the North lofts will have one, the logo is screened on the panel during construction in Sri Lanka.

Tracing one on would be the route I would go if I had to have one - any perm. magic marker will do a good enough imitation.

There should be the usual disclaimer about copyright / trademark infringment here, but would it stop you ?

i had the same problem, you can't buy a sticker and it's copywrited, i finally just made one from all the left over pieces from the red sail numbers i put on the sail, from a distance you can't tell the difference.:cool:

Hmmm, I just bought a Kia but I want to put a Mercedes hood ornament on it so I can pretend its really a Mercedes.....ha ha ha

That copyright notice would state that "Laser and the Laser logo are registered trademarks of Vanguard Sailboats in North America (or the builder in your region)."
Of course you can make your own but you cannot get a Laser sticker to put on your non-builder/class approved sail.

Cheers,

TheBoathouse said:
Hmmm, I just bought a Kia but I want to put a Mercedes hood ornament on it so I can pretend its really a Mercedes.....ha ha ha

Okay, I get the point! :D

It is just a practice sail.

Why would you want a Kia???

JH

Purchase:
Sanford King Size markers
One red
One black

You wiull also need a pencil and a straight edge

Find a real Laser sail and place yours on top of it.

Tract the logo with your pencil and probably with the assisitance of the straight edge.

Color in the logo with the red marker.

Make the outline of a big circle and diagonal slash ovef the logo.

Color it in with the black marker.

like so?

great idea gouv!
20trm0m.jpg

monkey_feet said:
I just bought a practice sail, and it doesn't have the venerable Laser logo on it. I've been searching all over the web for some, but can't find them anywhere.

Am I on my own to get one?

JH

Putting a Laser logo on a "practice" sail would make the sail a counterfeit Laser sail. Trademark owners understandbly get kind of cranky when you steal their trademarks and put them on counterfeit items. And they have the criminal justice system on their side.

In addition to the legal world, there's the sportsmanship world. If you put a Laser logo on a non-Laser sail, somebody might think you were trying to pass it off as a Laser sail, which is obviously a no-no. Either leave the sail blank, or come up with some other logo that is cute, funny, and that makes it crystal clear you're not trying to fool anyone.

i was meaning to get round to making a logo for mine too - i have some blue whatever-you-call-it-the-numbers-are-made-of, and as the official logo is red there will be no confusion! :p

Back