Storage Inspection Port Location

murraymcleod

I would like to put an inspection port with internal bag somewhere on my Laser (to hold water, lunch, etc., NOT for any repair purpose). Where is the best place for this. The area beside the centerboard doesn't seem like it has much internal room...I'm think of putting it in the rear of the cockpit, but don't know what lurks behind that bulkhead, though it seems like these's lots of room there. Suggestions, comments,? Thanks.

Murray Mcleod (#100139)

OK, I've researched this on the forums, and the concensus seems to be to put the inspection port with bag either on the foredeck somewhere behind the mast off the centerline, or on the sloped area next to the centerboard (where one might hit his knees). Has anyone ever put a inspect. port in the rear of the cockpit? Would putting the hole on the port side of centerboard eliminate the whacked knee problem at the windward mark?? Sounds like the foredeck location could do double duty if repairs are needed...oh well, maybe I'll just put three ports in!

My old Laser 46438 got an inspection port (the biggest one that is allowed by the class rules) to each side of the centreboard trunk. As a cruising-recreational sailing Laserite, I made a barnie-bag into one and a plastic-bucket-storage to the other one. I am very contented with this way of storing things. Of course, a suitable inspection port in the rear of the cockpit can carry a barnie-bag as good as at the inspection port at the centreboard trunk.
But, be aware:
a) not to install the inspectionport at the symmetry-line (in the mid) of the deck
and
b) if you use a tiller that works very flat to the deck (f.e. a carbon-tiller) be aware, that the tiller and the inspection port "do not disturb" each other.

In Europe, often the inspection ports of "RWO" are sold. RWO sells also the suitable barnie-bag and suitable plastic-bucket-storages for their inspection ports. The RWO inspection ports do not break and, if installed correct, are really dry.

Ciao
LooserLu

Back