Bailer Repair

thistle2311

I caught my bailer door and popped it out of the hinge clips inside my bailer. When I unscrewed the bailer from the boat, I think I lost an elastic o-ring [I still have one]. Can I use the bailer with only one elastic closing the bailer? What are my options for replacing the one that I assume I lost [I see 2 places to install the o-ring elastic so I assume there are supposed to be two of these things in place].

Has anyone ever tried using an o-ring from a hardware store instead of getting the official vanguard part?

I heard a rumor from a guy who has done this a lot that they can be had at any hardware store in 11/16"

VTGent49, correct me if I heard you wrong.

This is a simple problem. Forget about buying an O fing from Vanguard, just go to any hardware store and pick up a life supply for a few pennies. You should definitely have 2 O rings in place to hold it shut. Whenever you take it out replace both O rings. They don't last too long. Don't forget to use a sealant when replacing the screw that holds the bailer in place.

Hi,

One will work, if you have to. And yes, 11/16". Buy a few, but they do age, so forget the lifetime supply. I also store mine in a tiny ziploc bag, to keep the air off them. Add a drop of motor oil to the bag.

There is a trick to putting them on. (Can anyone scan and post the instruction sheet?) Put the two rings on the wire triangle first, then on the door. Use the wire to keep a tiny bit of pressure on the rings, to hold them tight to the door, as you reinsert the door. Then hook one to one side, then the other. Otherwise they fall off as you put the door back in.

Don't overtighten the hull screw, or the bailer bends and won't be as fair to the hull as possible. Your sealant has to be thick enough to fill the space between the hull and the bailer (maybe 1/16"). It is legal to silicone the screw hole to make it flush, and silicone comes out easily when needed. You can try various things to fair the leading edge, but sometimes a piece of clear packing tape works the best.

Al Russell 182797

The O-rings that come with the Nylex snap on gardent tap and hose connector fittings work OK too - not sure if they last as long as others - but can get you going if caught out.

Can also use these to hold the blocks steady on the Cunningham/Outhaul deck plate.

Back