Hiking Pants

kch88

I am thinking of buying a pair of hiking pants. I have searched the forum and found a few things, but need a little help still. I found a pair of Musto Hiking shorts, the strap on ones, on layline.com on sale for 30 dollars. From what I've heard this is a good deal. However, only the XL and XXL shorts are on sale, and I really can't afford them if I can't get one of those sizes. I am 6 feet tall and weigh around 185 pounds. What size would someone my size recommend, and has anyone had any problems with the Musto shorts? I can't find any information about size on the Musto website, I can't even find hiking shorts anywhere. Possibly they have been discontinued, I don't know. One other question I haven't found the answer to on the forums, how necessary are hiking pants?

The XL might fit. The good news is that with the strap on design, it's really easy to modify them if needed to fit, ie you can put in some darts on both the leg length and waist to take up extra material with a sewing machine.

I've sailed with both the strap on and the neoprene hikers - I prefer the neoprene hikers of the "over the shoulder " design. I found the strap on design did not have any stretch in the waist area, so when you have them snug standing up, and then bend forward at the torso that the waist really cut into me. When I left them a little loose in the waist, then they shifted around too much. I found the same issues in the thigh area.

How nec are the hikers - For serious competitors in full on hiking conditions, they are a must especially if you aren't sailing all the time. Not only do they make it possible to hike out for a longer period of time, they also raise you up slightly, giving your butt a little more distance from the water.

hey
i cant really help at all with sizes but i can definetly say that hiking pants are the best invention ever for the laser sailor along with the turbo kit and long fingered gloves. my hiking pants are "Magic Marine" neoprene over-the-shoulder ones with three-quarter legs and i absolutely swear by them. i sail once to twice a week and i have been told that that will last me 4 - 6 seasons..possibly more, mine are already over a season old and are still in pristine condition.
I would recommend hikers to any laser sailor, serious or non-serious and i promise you, they will be worth every penny!:D

well theres my two cents
hope i was some help
;) 'go the hikers'
lex

Back