New Vang system... Which one??? HELP!!!

cpeahl256

Hi,

So I am new to this forum, first post, and I am looking to purchase the new vang system. Holt makes one for $184 and harken makes one for $284. Why is harken so much more expensive? they are both 15:1 systems..... is it really worth me spending an extra $100 for the "Harken" name? or is there something the harken system has that Holt doesnt??

Also if there are any other brands that people want to recomend please do so

Thanks

I have the Harken one and it's really easy to use, doesn't jam, what more could you want. I haven't tried the Holt one so can't comment on that, however there's a few people at my club who use the Holt kicker and consistantly beat me, so obviously the Harken one doesn't make you any faster.

I believe there may be a certain snobbishness about which blocks you have, but ultimately it probably makes very little difference.

Having used both I have to say I prefer the Harken. In my opinion it is definitely worth the extra $$$ (or £££ here in the UK).

I found the Holt one has a nasty habit of uncleating itself unless you get the rope right down at the bottom of the cleat. That and there is more resistance in it then in the Harken and it has a tendancy to twist.

Never had any issues with the Harken one, it looks way better than the Holt effort too...

I've used both for a significant period of time in all conditions, so feel qualified to compare them to each-other. I have 2 Lasers, one came with Harken, the other with Holt.

In both systems I use thin (3mm?) high tech line, with a plastic tube loop on a bowline, and one cascade of purchase removed (dead end the line around one of the pulleys).

I think the Harken looks a little better, but on the water I have noticed no difference at all in performance. Both do exactly what they are supposed to do.
If I were able to sail with my eyes closed, I'm confident I would not be able to tell which one I was using.

When I go back to owning one Laser, I'll keep the Harken one.
I suffer from 'block snobbery' as mentioned above.

I agree with the above, I used to have 2 boats, one had a Harken the other had the Holt one. When I sold one, I kept the Harken Vang for my self, have had no problems.

If you can't tell the difference between the two vangs, you aren't pulling enough on!

Harken all the way.

Back