Rooster pro hikers, sizing

martyn

I've ordered some Rooster Pro Hikers. I followed the rooster size guide at http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=RPHS which states for 80kg and 6 foot tall I should be a size small, This seemed odd, I'm normally a Large. But after looking at Steve Cockerill's sizing video where he says they should be as tight as possible because they will stretch when wet I thought, what the hell he must know what he's talking about.

Anyway they've arrived now, and boy are they tight. Good job I no longer want kids. I now have the dilemma of; do I send them back because they are too tight, or do I take Steve at his word and take them sailing. My concern is once I have put the pads in, removed the tags and got them wet, can I send them back ?

Does anyone on here have these hikers and if so, what were your experiences with them ?

Thanks

Martyn

I have used them and am around your size. I wear a medium. That is more than tight enough. The small size, once the pads go in would be far too tight.

All neoprene stretches when wet and after being used for a while, so when you put a new pair of hikers on for the first time they should be tighter than you would like them to be and then after a bit of use they should fit well.

That is why it is a good idea to always break in gear first before doing a regatta. New hikers are just too tight too be comfortable if they are brand new.

Exchange them if they are too tight and take too much effort to get on.

If they are uncomfortable especially around the goods, then you should send them back and get a bigger size, anything that is uncomfortable on land will be way more uncomfortable on the water.

...I would be interested to hear what you think of the Rooster Hikers in general as I also will be buying a pair. I've got my eye on the Gill Pro hikers aswell.

I have a set of the Rooster pro hikers. They have done me a sterling service for the last 2 years and are just beginning to show the (ab)use they have had (nothing major just the stitches arounf the knee pads starting to pull on the neoprene a little).

I am really impressed with them and the difference they make when hiking (took a little getting used to at first).

I am surprised that Martyn was recommended the small from the sizing chart. I am a similar height and build (6ft 1 and 85kgs) and I was recommended the medium with medium pads (if memory serves). They are very comfy when being worn all day with no excess pressure on the family jewels as it were.

My view they are a little pricey but definitely worth they money. I know someone who has the Zhik system and who raves about it. In reality there is very little difference between the 2.

My husband is around 78kg and 5'11, he wears rooster pros size small short.

They really do have to be as tight as possible when dry - if they go on easy when dry they are too big.
If you really are not sure put them on and sit in a bath of clean water. See if they then feel any better to you. You would still be able to change them if they are clean.

I've decided they're going to have to go back.

Sailorchick I know what you are saying about them needing to be tight, but if I a squat down in them I can see the stitching around the kneepads really pulling at the neoprene, I don't think they would take that for too long before it would start tearing.

Shame as I was hoping to wear them tomorrow for Thursday night racing. But not the end of the world, as the forecast for the weekend looks cold, so may be back in the drysuit anyway.

Thanks all, the Rooster hikers do seem pretty popular, reckon I will sort myself out with a pair. I wonder if there is a stockist near me so I can try the sizes...?!

if I a squat down in them I can see the stitching around the kneepads really pulling at the neoprene, I don't think they would take that for too long before it would start tearing.

If your 6 foot and 80+ kg you will just tear the seams and stitching if you wear a small. Just pulling them up could damage them.

I was going to originally add to my first reply, that I feel sorry for whoever buys your small pair if you return them, because if you have moved around in them or sat down the stitching might tear the neoprene.

I have a few pairs of them and they are a good hiker.

I am 6' and weigh about 200lbs. I emailed Rooster before I ordered and they told me that I could wear the Mediums but if I wanted to get into them easier then to get the Large. I opted for the Large and find them to fit quite nice.

If you are going to order something from Rooster email them first, I find the chart on the website to be off a bit.

Back