Question to the class legal depth of a mast cavity

LooserLu

LooserLu
Hi
tomorrow, we’re going to repair a leaky mast tube. It’s a hull built in 1981. So, it has no stainless steel “anti wear plate” inside of the mast step. We’re going to install such a disk, too. To this I have a question:

How much is the MINIMUM length of the distance “d” (view sketch in attachment, below) to be on the save side of the class rules?

“d” goes from the upper side of the deck to the upper surface to the with epoxy resin installed new stainless steel disk.

Thanks for your infos to this question.

LooserLu

Attachments

• length d of mast-cavity.JPG
    length d of mast-cavity.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 24
Re: Question to the classlegal depth of a mast cavity

It's a builders manual depth, not a class rule as such, so we don't ever bother measuring it.

If a few people here could help by measuring this depth on new (12 months old or less) boats and providing that information, that will be sufficient. We need about 5 boats measured. I'm not expecting to go near my boat or club this weekend to assist.

Thanks Alan and Greg.

I would take the measure from my 171442, but she is at the winterstorage in the moment (1 hour to drive to ...). Greg, I take your measures, they are absolutely sufficient enough for the old hull we are working on.

Alan (and all that know actually competing Laserites at Halifax), as for your idea it would be great to give it as an exercise/homework for the Masters-competitors at Halifax. They have the newest hulls in the moment, I guess. Unfortunately, I don't know any German competitor personally there in the moment, to message him this exercise.

Ciao
Lu

Hi,
I like to give a feedback.

At the club of the sailing friend, yesterday, I did some measures about "d". Greg, are you sure about 35,53 cm?
We did measure "d" at 11 Laser hulls in all ages and got averaged for "d": 36,5 cm (14,37").

This "d", we did measure, rough is nearly the same for the new hulls (184xxx; steeldisk inside, done by builder; "d" was between 36,2 cm to 36,4 cm) we did measure and old vintage hulls (end of70ties mid of 80ties; NO steel disk inside;"d" was between 36,5 cm to 36,7 cm).

From that I would say: With an afterwards fixed steel disk inside the "minimum d" for old hulls perhaps is about 36,2 to 36,0 cm.

Thanks

Lu

(P.S.: All hulls, we did measure, have been built by PSE.)

humm - I have a 2002 Vanguard, sitting in the yard, measured it again yesterday. Came up with 14.187" ~ 36.0cm for the depth - this boat has been sailed 6 years, and the gelcoat sitting on top of the s.s. disk is worn off, but I can imagine that is more then a few mils thick.

Back