Converting A Standard Rig to Radial

Would it be possible to convert a standard lower mast to a radial lower mast by cutting down the standard lower section. Also what would be the best method of making this cut if it is possible. I'm not to concerned with the class legality of this because this boat is going to be used for learning at my sailing school.

The Radial lower is thinner walled to make it bend easier. You can cut it to the right length, but it won't perform well with the Radial sail.

I did this for my son when he was first learning to sail. For your intended purposes, the thicker walled section of the full rig lower will be fine, in fact, it will be much more durable and less likely to suffer perm bend like the radial section does.

I'd use a reciprocating saw to cut things down. As far as actually how much to cut off.... I really dont know

How much do I cut off of the standard rig lower mast section and what method of cutting should I use?

You can get the dimensions from the class rules on the international site. Once you have your length marked, I just put some tape around the section and used a hacksaw to cut along the edge of the tape - aluminum is very soft, it won't take too long with a hacksaw - file or sand smooth after cutting and you're good to go.

Not a fan of this as the mast won't performed as intended. The key to a Radial is not just the smaller sail, but that the mast bends and depowers in a puff.

That being said if you must cut down a mast, use a mitre box. It will guarantee a straight edge.

Back