Most Active Laser Fleet? Where??

nateowens

District 12
Laserers and Laserettes,

I am in a unique place in life. People pay me to fly around and work on computers. [Looking back, who would have thought careers could ever be based on computers?]

It is not as glamorous as it sounds, but it enables me to live about anywhere on the east coast. Which brings up an interesting question..

If one wanted pack as much competition or practice into Friday, Saturday and Sunday.. What is the most active Laser fleet on the east coast?

I've been residing in district 12 in Charleston and Columbia. The 12th district hosts six championship regattas. However, the practice schedule and local series leaves me wanting more. I am looking for a close proximity to other fleets, high attendance to practices or local series, multiple regattas and great talent.

I would be thrilled to hear any thoughts or comments. Please quantify what you mean by "most active." Lastly, be sure to include the obligatory, "Come on up!" or "Swing by for a visit."

Keep the pointy side up,
Nate Owens

In D12, the most activity is probably at Wrightsville Beach. As for the east coast, I would say look in Florida.

Nate, how come we don't see you at the D12 series events? The "local" every weekend sailing you're looking for is a tough find. Sounds more like you're looking for a local club that has a very active Laser fleet. This may not be in the best "district". Also keep in mind some club fleets can be very fickle. What's hot one year may not be hot the next.

Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club has a very full spring and fall series with a great Laser fleet and they host a few open events a year as well.

I'm with you though and surprised how few active Lasers there are in Charleston.

I think fishing Bay YC in virginia has a pretty active fleet. I'm not sure about Annapolis and the "every saturday" activity.

Florida does not have any clubs that currently have nice sized laser fleets sailing every weekend. The state however is chock full of excellent laser sailors and they always come out for the big open events and travel to others.

I don't know what's north of Annapolis.

The most convenient thing might be to make the best of where you are at. After all the venue is fantastic! I know Jerry Calahan out of CYC is trying to get more active lasers going and David Loring is attending a few open events. The trick is to get the interest back up and build a local fleet. You've got the sailors there.

Newport, RI got a VERY actice fleet during the winter... and it's usually easy to find some sailing all summer long. I'm also partial cause I live here....

Hey Rob,

Yeap. I was in Charlotte. That was a fine regatta with some great competition. I liked your comment about rule 42. That came up twice over the weekend from the informal judge boat.

Last year I made it to a few D12 events like Charleston and Columbia. We may have met at some point. I just bought my Laser last year. Previously I was sailing SOBs [some other boat].

Regarding Charleston and laser sailors. I thought it would be the southern laser sailing mecca, but only handfull of lasers would show up for summer series. I spent summer and fall expecting them to come out of the woodwork. So now I am looking for a more active fleet.

Cheers,
Nate

The PRSA (on the Potomac River near Washington DC) and the SSA (in Annapolis) both run frostbite series. And during the summer there is a regatta somewhere around the Chesapeake Bay, just about every weekend. Just check the District 11 calendar.

Hey Rob,

Yeap. I was in Charlotte. That was a fine regatta with some great competition. I liked your comment about rule 42. That came up twice over the weekend from the informal judge boat.

Last year I made it to a few D12 events like Charleston and Columbia. We may have met at some point. I just bought my Laser last year. Previously I was sailing SOBs [some other boat].

Regarding Charleston and laser sailors. I thought it would be the southern laser sailing mecca, but only handfull of lasers would show up for summer series. I spent summer and fall expecting them to come out of the woodwork. So now I am looking for a more active fleet.

Cheers,
Nate

I feel ya. I grew up sailing in D12. Back in the late 80's early 90's Charleston was full of active Laser sailors. Now the focus is on big boats there. I did the open CYC event in July and less than 20 lasers showed. I was shocked, but I did win so I was happy. It's been a while since I took home a worthless silver platter, but it does make you feel good!

I also did the D12 event in October, but I think the $75.00 entry fee hurt that one.

I think the Lasers are there just someone needs to try to pick up the ball and get them organized.

I am with Krycek. Newport RI has top level racing every Sunday all winter long and just up the road in Bristol has open racing every Tuesday evening the rest of the year. Nearby Stonington Ct has Saturdays in the Fall and Spring and Sundays in the Summer. Throw in the Newport Regatta, Buzzards Bay Regatta, Hyannis Regatta, Fat Boys Regatta, Wickford Regatta, Pete Milnes Regatta and a number of other events around New England and it is year round Laser sailing in good sized and skilled fleets.

We also get good breeze year round.

Of course I am biased!

Take a look at the Annapolis area. From there you have a regatta almost every single weekend from May to October within a 3 hour drive and most regattas are even closer than that.

Add to that Tuesday night racing in Annapolis, Friday night racing at West River (20 minutes south of Annapolis) and you can see there are plenty of opportunities to sail.

Also District 10 events in NJ and PA are a reasonable drive and a number of the D11 sailors carpool to some of the major D12 events as well.

Check out the District 11 schedule at http://www.laserdistrict11.org and if you have any questions, please let me know.

-Jon Deutsch
D11 Chairman

Back