Change trailer to a gunnel hanger?

mmhamer

I'd like to modify my current trailer. The two bunks under the cockpit are deforming the hull. I need suggests on modifying the trailer. Better design bunks? Gunnel hanger?
Your thoughts please.

I'd be really interested in the replies to this one, as I've considered using some from of gunnel hanging system, but I'm a bit concerned about the hull comming away from the deck.

At present I'm using bunks and need to get the alignment perfect to avoid stress on the hull. Maybe slinging is the answer?

Paul

Rather than putting the hull on the bunks...why not flip the boat over and trailer it on the deck.

Cheers
Mark

hola.

i too recently modified my trailer...i installed 4 vertical stands and placed 12 foot long "bunks" to carry the laser deck on. that way the hull is not bearing the weight of the boat on the hard and in transit. having long (12 feet) bunks also minimizes pressure points on the deck because the whol thing is supported length-wise as it is when the laser is on it's rack at the club.

best of luck

ARM

gunwhale hung trolleys are the normal in england .most boats sit on them permantly gunale seperatin does not seem to ocur faster because of it.deteriation of the hull/deck joint occurs ost when damage to the gunwhale is left unrepaired and water penetrates the joint. sean

mmhamer said:
I'd like to modify my current trailer. The two bunks under the cockpit are deforming the hull. I need suggests on modifying the trailer. Better design bunks? Gunnel hanger?
Your thoughts please.

My husband added two bunks to my existing trailer and a curved thingy to hang the bow on. You can see the original bunks with gray carpeting and the new ones with black. It works very well.

Merrily

Attachments

• Trailer-1.jpg
    Trailer-1.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Trailer-2.jpg
    Trailer-2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Trailer-3.jpg
    Trailer-3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Trailer-4.jpg
    Trailer-4.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 90
Hi,

Check this thread, lots of info: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1880&highlight=trailer

My present trailer still has the bunks, but adjusted so I can trailer hull down, hull up, or right in the dolly (I let it ride in the sling). With new wheels/tires, paint, lights and coupler, this is a 200. solution, if you start with an old beater trailer for 100-125. Use an old tire/wheel as a spare.

I think it's a nicer ride than the light weight trailers which bounce a lot, but that's JMHO.

Idea for everyone: Check that your tow vehicles lug wrench fits your trailer bolts. Kitty Hawks are 13/16s, and many cars are 3/4 inch. Easy to get new nuts or bolts at the auto parts places.

Al Russell 182797 etc.

Back