What did happened to DRLaser?

LooserLu

LooserLu

Hi,
DrLaser.org Homepage is offline since today. Does anybody know, when it comes back again?
Ciao
LooserLu

Looks like someone forgot to pay the bill! I hope all is well with Shevy. Unfortunately, I don't have any contact information for him besides an email address. I'm guessing you've already tried that.

I'd chip in to support this very valuable resource. Just post a snail mail addy.

Best wishes to Shevy et al.

Al Russell 138888

Hi,
If any one knows any new contact info for Shevy I would be glad to give him a call or email. [I get a good rate on international calls from T-Mobile] As LooserLu pointed out to me via email, chances are Shevy's email is no longer active either since his service is shut off. I sent him one anyways and so far haven't gotten an error message. It is also possible he went over his bandwidth allotment. If this is the case his site may come back on tomorrow or at the end of the month. I think this is highly unlikely however, since January is a low month for sailing trafifc online. Take a look at the site stats for our page and you will see a significant decline in Laser user starting in November.

Anyways: The Laser Sailboat Forum would be glad to host drlaser.org and get the site back online ASAP. This would be at no cost to Dr. Gunter of course. If anyone communicates with him please pass this message on.

Regards,

Domain Name: DRLASER.ORG
Created On:03-Jan-2002 21:06:53 UTC
Last Updated On:20-Oct-2004 02:18:21 UTC
Registrant Name:Shevy Gunter
Registrant Street1:222 Church Street, Unit 4A
Registrant City:philadelphia
Registrant State/Province:pA
Registrant Postal Code:19106-4540
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.2153515499
Registrant Email:[email protected]

www.whois.org

Nice idea Jon, but the informations are old - too old. Shevy now lives in Turkey.
I posted an email to roostergraphics.com and also to the webmaster of the Yachtclub in Turkey, Shevy told us that he is sailing there. I hope one or both emails reach him sooner or later.
Ciao
LooserLu

Hey All,

I have gotten a message through to Shevy. He should now know his site is down. I will let you know of any further possitive news whenever I find it out.

Does somebody know what happened to the website www.drlaser.org ?
For me it was a valuable source of information, but since some weeks it looks closed.
Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bradley said:
Anyways: The Laser Sailboat Forum would be glad to host drlaser.org and get the site back online ASAP. This would be at no cost to Dr. Gunter of course. If anyone communicates with him please pass this message on.

Now the DrLaser.org site says no website is configured there. That sounds very bad.

Hope Shevy Gunter is well and wish him all the best.

Any more news on the situation?

Merrily

I just have to say that I think it is very frusterating that the site is down. I don't know if that was something Shevy anticipated or not, but there was a ton of great information there that has been lost (or is at least unavailable). Particularly the work of Neil Berman and those who contributed to the original Laser FAQ, The PLF Laser FAQ2 and later both rolled into the Dr. site. That was such a great resource and it's unfortunite that it's not available to those who could get the most use out of it.

jon said:
... Particularly the work of Neil Berman and those who contributed to the original Laser FAQ, The PLF Laser FAQ2 and later both rolled into the Dr. site. ...
Jon,
I guess, the Laser FAQ1-website from Neil Berman is still available. I think the following link shows the LaserFAQ1 :

http://members.tripod.com/~GROTR4/

If I´m wrong, please correct me.

Ciao
LooserLu

Unfortunitely, that site covers almost nothing that was on the LaserFAQ or LaserFAQ2. I'm very familiar with that site, because I'm the one who created it, and the whole idea was to cover a few topics not covered on either of the FAQ sites. My whole purpose of it was to learn web design back in 1996. I know from a design standpoint the site is terrible, and I have not updated it since 2000 and don't intend to update it, but I leave it up, because there is some very good information there that is not covered elsewhere on the web.

I don't use my own site, or even Shevy's site often at all, but I recognize that particularly for those new to Laser sailing who haven't been around it as much, that those site, and others dedicated to laser sailing such as this one as well, are tremendous resources that help bring people into Laser sailing, keep them interested in the off-season, and help make sailing easier for them and them better at it.

Like I said I don't know if it is just a goof by Shevy that the site is not up or what, but it would be a real shame to loose so much great information that was contributed by the laser community over the years in the LaserFAQ1 and entrusted in him to maintain. I know myself as well as Bradley and probably others who have the resources to maintian a site like that certainly would to continue the tradition and make that information available to those who would get the most out of it.

drLaser said:
(I'm fine.)

Shevy G.

Glad to hear it.

But, given that last we heard from you you were right in the middle of upping and moving to Turkey and maybe settling down with a Turkish gal and all, surely we deserve a news update. Everything I know about sailing in Turkish waters, I learned from the Odyssey, which may be a bit outdated. Having fun?

YEAH!! Glad to hear from you again! Hopefully you'll be posting more often now, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say we always look forward to your insight.

Welcome back Shevy,
Glad to see you posting again... I hope you didn't feel pressured to reopen your web site and it is a mutual love we all feel for the Laser and Laser sailing that brought forth this outpouring of concern for yourself and the knowledge of Laser sailing your dedicated efforts have brought to the Laser class and the sport of sailing.
Best regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Back