Cold weather gloves

RobKoci

I notice a thread on cold weather boots. How about gloves that are waterproof and relatively warm for sailing in cold weather? Anyone know of one? I was at the Mountain Co-op in Toronto to look at their gloves and there was a good selection of gloves, all pretty cheap, but none that were waterproof. Is there any glove that can claim that? I thought of the neoprene gloves, but they looked too bulky. Cumbersome. Does anyone have a cold weather glove that they really like?

RobKoci said:
Does anyone have a cold weather glove that they really like?

That's a good question. I tried neoprene over a thin polyester glove liner. It was fine until I capsized. Once my hands were wet, they were warmer with just the liner gloves without the neoprene.

Janet

.....the best solution I've found is the cheapest!--light liners inside sturdy rubber 'dish' gloves-tuck the top end inside your drysuit cuffs-just be sure to not wear them super-snug,as that restricts circulation.

seamonkey said:
.....the best solution I've found is the cheapest!--light liners inside sturdy rubber 'dish' gloves-tuck the top end inside your drysuit cuffs-just be sure to not wear them super-snug,as that restricts circulation.

Nice. I like it. A true Laser solution. For cold weather, you can pull wool mitts over top. Thanks.

i have some rooster ones, click to see my gloves
there good, i like them, tho i should have gone 4 the nxt size up cos there hard to get on, but very warm and extremly comfortable,
i would reckamend them, buy ROOSTER, wooo
(no i don't work 4 them lol)

I think I am going to try the dish glove solution, mainly because I want a way to keep my hands dry. (all week after a regatta, the skin on my hands peels off in sheets cause they've been wet and cold for two days.) Tomorrow, I'll throw on the dry suit, put the dish washing gloves on, and take a walk in the Trent River outside my house and see how they work. I'll let you know.

RobKoci said:
take a walk in the Trent River outside my house and see how they work. I'll let you know.

Yeah, and take pictures too ;) !

I'm very interested in the dish glove thing, but I tend to have sweaty hands, no matter what the season. It's possible I'd soak the liners anyway, but it's sure worth a try. Is there such a thing as gore-tex gloves? They'd probably be too delicate--and real expensive!

Janet

hey,
i wear the big thick gloves from MEC and they work real good but they are a little bit bulky.I like them though because you get real good grip on the rope with the little green sticky bits.so i like them and so do some other people i sail with. Plus they extend my season that little bit more and i need anything i can get since i live in Edmonton, Alberta :mad:

Salty Bob said:
hey,
i wear the big thick gloves from MEC and they work real good but they are a little bit bulky.I like them though because you get real good grip on the rope with the little green sticky bits.so i like them and so do some other people i sail with. Plus they extend my season that little bit more and i need anything i can get since i live in Edmonton, Alberta :mad:

We had minus 20 temps last night and now i am going to have to break through 3 inches of ice to take my walk. But while I've got you, Salty Bob, I am looking for a boat to sail in the Canadian Masters at Wabamun in June. Can you help me find a boat to charter?

my best friend and training partner wears those neoprene MEC gloves, he swears by them and claims that his hands never even get wet, and i swear by those citton lined blue dishwashing gloves that are like $6 at canadian tire, though i dont tuck them into my top so my hands will still get wet when i go in, but they stop the wind and thats one of the biggest things, i love them and he loves those MEC ones. whatever floats your boat.

Back