Vang Max Off Position

JuanCH

Hi there, I`ve just replaced the lines of my vang and I don`t know how to tune it, I mean, I need to know where's the max off position ? Is it clear? I know the boom must rest just above horizontal position (but how many degrees??). This is important especially when sailing downwind. As usual all comments are welcomed. Photos too!!

This sure seems like a lot of vang for a light air day. But I beleive you experts. Seeing that the above vang thread reference is old, has the advent of the upgraded vang changed thoughts on this 6 inch rule of thumb? either way, I can't wait until next summer to try it out and see the effect.

In light air:
You are looking to have the mast straight.
You are looking to have the leech "flick" when hit by a wave or puff. You don't want the leech to lazily dump open/close

The upgraded vang won't change the general rule - so, I think you can work within the range of 0" to 6" of tension when setting up your vang, and apply the principles above to fine tune what the correct setting is for the light air conditions you find yourself in.

thanks 49028
If you rig the vang in this 0-6 inch range on the beach, what's the tension when on water block-to-block upwind? I'm guessing it might be slack.
thanks

In light air:
You are looking to have the leech "flick" when hit by a wave or puff. You don't want the leech to lazily dump open/close

The upgraded vang won't change the general rule - so, I think you can work within the range of 0" to 6" of tension when setting up your vang, and apply the principles above to fine tune what the correct setting is for the light air conditions you find yourself in.

Just so the above is clear, add the following to the first line:

In light air dead downwind:

thanks 49028
If you rig the vang in this 0-6 inch range on the beach, what's the tension when on water block-to-block upwind? I'm guessing it might be slack.
thanks

I'm not sure the two are related.
The max loose setting on the vang is for downwind.

The settings for upwind sailing are quite a bit different. In light air (3-5kts) for example, I would set my vang so that it had tension on it when the mainsheet blocks were 10-12" apart.. That is probably my max loose setting for upwind sailing.

In general, the vang will always be tighter while sailing upwind compared to downwind...

It's been a while since I setup my vang, so I don't recall what the distance between the blocks is with no mainsheet or vang tension, but I'm guessing it's close to 30"

Back