Adjustable Toe Strap Rigging? - Pictures Please

SteveSailing

So, I've searched the forum and the web and seen pics, but no success...so I bring the question here....

How do I rig a functional, non slipping and kick ass adjustment system for my toe strap? I looked at a couple other boats this weekend, but at first glance, I couldn't tell, how the 2:1 adjuster would hold when pulled. After sailing, I was more interested in putting the boat away and getting warm.

Personal preferences, pics, links, crappy sketches, anything is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, in that setup, it's friction. If you decide on that config, I highly recommend using 3/16" Marlow prestretch (or similar) - you don't want to use a smooth covered line in this particular config, the nubby Marlow locks in place very well.

Thanks guys!

What maintains the adjustment on the first Rooster system? Is it friction? Or is the load divided among the lines and it just stays that way? ...Yeah, I think I see how it works. When you move the bowline, you take up the purchase in the 2:1 and with the load from the strap divided equally between the 2:1 side and the other side, there shouldn't be any slippage or loosening. Am I getting this right? At first glance it looks like it won't stay...

I've been trying it out for the past couple of months. Still not 100% sold on it as it has less adjustment in it, but it holds pretty solid.

don't have pics, but mine is simple, simple, simple. Using Rooster 7mm mainsheet line, feed through both eyes, then through the strap and then through both eyes again. That's it. Find your max length, then knot one end and put a handle in the other. Now, here's the trick. It's a tight fit, but feed a shock cord through the eyes. You'll probably need a pair of pliers or something to get it through. It is there to provide friction to hold the line where you set it. If one shock cord is not enough friction, feed another through. When you get it right, you will find that the shock cord will bind the line when you put your weight on it, but when you want to adjust it when you weight is off, it will move. There is no purchase, or fancy tying to be done. Very simple, very effective.

Dear RobKoci that sounds interesting. I find all the systems with purchase don't work when the strap is too long. See how short is the strap on the mentioned forum pics.
On a longer strap is no space for a thick line and knots and purchase. I will have a try with the shock cords !!!

What I like most is that to loosen the strap upwind, all you do is get out of the strap and step on the line with your back foot. You are not reaching in to adjust it with your hand. that means you don't lose as much righting moment because most of your body is still out over the rail.

I have my handle on the starboard side so that, when you round the top mark, you can lean back and give a good yank and the strap is tight. Another thing, because there is no purchase, the length difference between tight and loose is only about six inches for me (I'm 5"7"). When there is purchase, the length of pull at least doubles.

What I like most is that to loosen the strap upwind, all you do is get out of the strap and step on the line with your back foot. You are not reaching in to adjust it with your hand. that means you don't lose as much righting moment because most of your body is still out over the rail.

I have my handle on the starboard side so that, when you round the top mark, you can lean back and give a good yank and the strap is tight. Another thing, because there is no purchase, the length difference between tight and loose is only about six inches for me (I'm 5"7"). When there is purchase, the length of pull at least doubles.

Thanks, Rob!

I could never get a system to work, so I've effectively had no adjustment on my hiking strap. I'm looking forward to trying this in the spring. (Sigh)

And to think, I understand it with no pictures!

I'll shoot a pic soon. I am still sailing, though it is a little cold here in Toronto. Next time I go down, I'll bring my camera.

Back